1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Response Rate Feature Request

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Amadeus, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

This is going to be a bit tricky of a feature request to describe, so I'll start with context first:

I have an iMac that I have a magic trackpad and wireless keyboard connected too. I run an Across Server on my mac, and a Windows PC that uses the Across Client to connect to the iMac.

The Windows PC is fairly powerful (it has an Intel i7-7700, an Nvidia Geforce 1080 ti) and it's connected to a high refresh rate monitor; the monitor runs at about 165hz (or 165fps).

I sometimes connect a USB mouse to the windows PC to play games with - that mouse when it moves around the screen, moves very smoothly due to the high refresh rate of the monitor. However, when using the magic trackpad, it's pretty obvious the cursor only gets update at around 60hz, since it looks a lot more jittery as it moves.

I realize in general, macOS is generally pretty limited to 60fps, but I was wondering if there is anything Across could do, like at the bluetooth level or what not, to perhaps poll the trackpad faster and have the cursor smoothness improve on the windows computer since it can support it?

It could also just be a limitation of the trackpad hardware, so it may not be something you can do anything about. Anyways, I get pretty obsessed with small details like these so I figured I would post here about it to see if it's even something you could solve from Across's perspective.

2. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hi, Amadeus! :)

Nice to see you!
    Unfortunately, it's not possible. It's not related with the frame refresh rate but with a pointing device report rate. Trackpad max report rate is 125Hz and your USB mouse would have a high resolution and a high report rate (512Hz or 1024Hz). I think the unique solution may be to connect your USB mouse to your Mac (needed to configure its driver to have a high report rate) and use network input channel to redirect its input to your PC. Because the max report rate of BT is 125Hz, BT channel is unable to transfer the high traffic. So, Trackpad is out of luck.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020