1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

macOS 10.14 Mojave Accessibility Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seungjin Lee, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

UPDATE: This article is outdated. Please refer to the updated configuration information: https://community.acrosscenter.com/...ave-accessibility-configuration.170/#post-841

===
    Hello, Across Users,

Last week there was Korean Thanksgiving Day in Korea which is one of the two greatest holidays of a year in Korea. So please understand this late announcement regarding macOS 10.14 Mojave issues including the Error Code 7 in Server Mode and the switch back problem by mouse dragging in Client Mode.

As some users reported the problems in Mojave, the current version of Across does not work properly for both Server and Client mode. In fact, there is only one problem: Mojave added a new security mechanism to prevent an app from controlling another app without the user consent. That is, you are able to register an app explicitly as an exception in the allowed list from "System Preferences". However, in the current version of Mojave, registering our daemon (acrossd) in the exception list has no effect at all. I am suspecting that this may be a bug of Mojave and then have reported it as a bug to Apple. So we need to wait for the Apple's response to the bug report.

In the mean time, we can use Across with some inconvenience.
    1. Unregister acrossd from running as a daemon (One-time setup)
      Run the following command in Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
      sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.clixon.acrossd.plist
    2. Register Terminal.app in the exception list (One-time setup)
      1. Open "System Preferences" and go to "Security&Privacy" and "Privacy" tab. In the "Privacy Tab", choose "Accessibility" from the left-pane.
      2. Click on the lock icon on the bottom left corner and enter password.
      3. Click the "+" button and navigate to /Applications/Utilities and choose "Terminal".
    3. Run acrossd manually in Terminal.app (For each login time, or Mode Switch time: Server↔Client)
      Run the following commands in Terminal:
      sudo ls (To apply sudo for successive commands without entering password)
      sudo /usr/local/sbin/acrossd& (To run acrossd)
      exit (To close Terminal. Finally close Terminal by clicking the red close circle button on the top left corner)

We will do our best to resolve this problem at the earliest. If you have any questions or other problems, please feel free to leave your issue. Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

No worries, life gets in the way, totally fine.

Thanks for the fix, seems to work great for now!

3. Clovis559

Clovis559 New Member

Wow thank you so much. It works perfect now and I am happy.

4. Adam R

Adam R New Member

Thanks for the information Seungjin. You guys are great at being responsive, it's really appreciated and the software is awesome.

I have 2 things to add:

- The keyboard hotkey feature to switch between devices still works successfully (for me at least) and is another potential workaround while the problem is still present
    - It may be possible to automate the last step in your login items or another way so that it doesn't need to be performed each time you login/restart. I'm going to try this now.

Edit: I gave up on running it automatically on login/restart but it seems pretty possible.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  5. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hello, Adam R,

Thanks for your warm words. Though we could automate the last step, it still doesn't make our app run at login screen like in the previous versions of macOS. From my experience of previous macOS releases, wrestling with subtle problems in early release versions of major macOS could just end up with wasting time.

Apple doesn't give any feedback yet. If any feedbacks from Apple are available, I will share them. For your reference, here is my bug report:

6. Alejandro T

Alejandro T New Member

Seungjin I think maybe you did not wrote well, I recommend to ask them instead of describe them what MacOS does. I mean, maybe something like:

"I'm a developer of an app that has a command line implementation that needs to be run as a launch daemon. This is because this app finality is to control other computer keyboards. It has a client and a server version (the server is seen on the client computer as a bluetooth keyboard) and needs to be able to control another computer on login screen in order to be usable (to allow login on the client computer of course). The problem is I can not find a way to accomplish. I have seen similar functionality on other apps like [[put here some app you know works this way if it exists]]. How can I achieve that behavior?"

I'm supposing there are other apps that can do this (maybe antivirus and such?). If not, just omit that part and replace with this ."Is there a way to achieve this?"

At worst you will get an answer like "no" but I think this way is more understandable for a team that must have to read so much mails like this.

Hope it is of use

7. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member