1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running client and server mode simultaneously

Discussion in 'Questions and Support' started by Nick, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Nick

Nick New Member

I typically use Across to quickly switch over from my work computer to my personal computer for short tasks like responding to an email (both are MacBook Pros). For longer things I use a kvm switch.

Today, I was on my personal computer and wanted to quickly switch to my work computer and realized that I wasn't able to because my personal computer is setup as the client.

Is it possible to run both server and client on both computers simultaneously so that I can easily switch to either, regardless of which one is currently the host? FWIW, I'm totally fine with purchasing a second license to do this (I haven't because I'm not sure it will actually work even if I do).

2. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hi,

Unfortunately, no. But you can operate the computer as both server and client in which case you can only use the keyboard/mouse hotkeys to select the input focus between the computer and your main computer.

3. Nick

Nick New Member

Sorry, I don't think I understand your reply. Maybe a concrete example will help me?

I have 2 MacBook Pros, let's call them HOME and WORK. Normally I run with this configuration:

WORK = server (and host)
    HOME = client

Option #1: It sounds like you're saying that I can operate the HOME as both server and client (which was my original question)? So something like:

WORK = server
    HOME = client && server

Option #2: Or are you saying that I would have to switch between the 2 modes manually? So something like:

WORK = server
    HOME = client || server

Option #3: Something else entirely, that I'm missing because it's too early in the morning? ;)

4. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Basically Server+Client model is the way Across works and then I will not talk about the case. I have a plan to add the relay-mode (client && server) but it's hard to find spare time to consider the case. What I mentioned is the case when both computers work as Server. Normally your HOME will work as a client and if you want to work it as a client for your WORK and a server for another client devices, you can change your HOME as a server but you need to manually connect to it from your WORK by clicking "Connect Bluetooth..." item from the popup menu launched by right-click on the device icon in the AcrossCenter.

In this case, you can only use the keyboard/mouse hotkey to change the input focus between WORK and HOME (mouse dragging between computers will not work), since Across Client doesn't run in HOME. Our license model is applied to each Server and you need additional license to HOME working as Server.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  5. Nick

Nick New Member

Thanks for the clarification! That makes perfect sense. I definitely understand it being hard to find time for a feature like this, I’d imagine there’s not a huge demand for it. I’ll stick to my KVM switch when I need this functionality for now. Thanks for the great software!