1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Across Client (Android) Crashing

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by jakelee, Apr 21, 2018.

1. jakelee

jakelee New Member

The client seems to be crashing when I make simultaneous inputs with the mouse and keyboard. For example, If I hold down two keys and drag the mouse. I then need to reopen the app and turn the operation on.

Side note: After turning the operation on I get an error saying the app has stopped working and to restart or kill it, but it does in fact work.

2. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hi jakelee,

For Across Client for android to work properly, it needs the "Draw over other apps" privilege. Please refer to the following why the privilege is needed.
    I can check what crashes occur for a release in google play console, and for the latest version for android (v1.42), there are 2 users (1 for Haweii Nexus 6P and 1 for Xperia XA1 Ultra) experiencing the same crash come from the same reason - not allow the "Draw over other apps".

You can allow the privilege by going to Settings > Apps > Across Client, and then allowing the "Draw over other apps". Normally Across Client will request you to turn on the privilege, but I am suspecting that an App (e.g., a crappy Security app) would keep our app from doing so.
    Hope it helps.

3. jakelee

jakelee New Member

Thank you for the reply. I double checked and the "Dray over other apps" is enabled. However, the issue might be a conflict with another app that also is drawing over (Octopus for keyboard mapping). I will troubleshoot and see if I can disable the other Draw over and then see if Across works.

4. jakelee

jakelee New Member

Disabling the other Draw over did help but across will occasionally crash when inputting at least two keys and moving the mouse simultaneously. Is the amount of input causing issues? The keys are generally "R," "T," "F," "G," and "H."

5. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Across Client doesn't any keys monitoring. Keys & mouse inputs are through BT HID, not by Across Client. Guessing you may be the Nexus 6P owner that are making huge number of crashes from the same problem.

ADDED: Confirmed by Nexus 9 (android 7.1) that any keys and mouse input combination doesn't make any issues at all.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  6. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Also, the mouse switch monitoring window's width (height for top/down layout) is 1-pixel at the switch edge position. Then when the mouse cursor locates at the other regions than the edge, Across Client does nothing at all.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  7. jakelee

jakelee New Member

I am the 6P user. Sorry if it is generating a lot of reports on your side. I am trying to figure out a way for it to be stable since this is the best software I have been able to find.

Are there any settings I could play with to try and further trouble shoot the issue?

Edit: Submitted system logs if that helps.

8. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Are you the developer of the key remapping app?

If yes, does your app try to disable/reenable the "Draw over other apps" of Across Client?

9. jakelee

jakelee New Member

I am not the developer of the app. However after I disable the draw over feature I don't believe it turns itself back on because when I later check the app permissions it is still toggoed off. (My device isnti rooted)

So the way I have been testing is first I enable the key mapping app, then disable the draw over, next I turn on across and make sure the draw over feature is enabled.

I will try some more things this afternoon.

10. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

I don't know exactly the principle of the key remapping app, but am suspecting it would disable/enable the permission of our Across Client during typing keys. At some moments when the permission of Across Client disabled, when you are trying to return input focus back to the Across Server, Across Client tries to catch that the mouse cursor goes into the cursor monitoring window, but because the permission is not restored, Across Client is getting crashed.

There could be many security holes in every programs. I think the key remapping app could enable/disable the permission of itself and other apps, but don't know the principle for it. However if an app is trying to enable/disable a permission of itself and other apps, I don't think it is a good app without any security issues.

11. jakelee

jakelee New Member

Ok thank you. I am going to root my device this afternoon and try out another keymapping app.

12. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

BTW, what is your purpose for key remapping?

13. jakelee

jakelee New Member

Just to play games without having to use the touch controls.

14. jakelee

jakelee New Member

Did some more testing (and many more crashes) seems that every time the app crashes it loses connection with the laptop. My bluetooth might just be choppy. I will try again on another laptop soon.

15. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

If you have rooted your phone, a key mapping app can freely enable/disable the permission of any apps.
    I can help you on crash of our app come from its own faults, but can't help you any more on conflicts with other crappy apps. Sorry.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  16. Todd Saylor

Todd Saylor New Member

I am also experiencing a crash of the app on Android, but in my case it crashes immediately very time I try to enable the "Operation" toggle. I'm using a Pixel on Android 8.1.0.

17. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Have you already read the following and allowed the permission?
    ===
    For Across Client for android to work properly, it needs the "Draw over other apps" privilege. Please refer to the following why the privilege is needed.
    You can allow the privilege by going to Settings > Apps > Across Client, and then allowing the "Draw over other apps".
    ===

If you have already allowed this, I think this crash may be related with a bug in Android 8.1 (https://stackoverflow.com/questions...-how-to-draw-on-top-and-check-this-permission). Please understand that it's hard to debug because android app simulator doesn't simulate Bluetooth functionality and then we need real devices to debug.

18. Todd Saylor

Todd Saylor New Member

Yes, I had verified that "Draw over other apps" was enabled. I agree that it seems likely an Android 8.1 issue. If it helps, I'd be glad to load a test build to confirm any fixes or gather log output.

19. Todd Saylor

Todd Saylor New Member

I find myself not using the software because of this crash, as that means it doesn't connect the bluetooth device automatically. It would help if at least the crashing part is fixed (even if the cursor detection part doesn't work in 8.1 yet).

20. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018