1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSX: Target Display Mode blocking keyboard/mouse switching

Discussion in 'Questions and Support' started by Edwin Tielen, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Edwin Tielen

Edwin Tielen New Member

Hi,

I'm a newbie user of across as of today. Have an iMac 27" and a Macbook Pro (MBP). I've used the Target Display Mode to connect my MBP to the iMac to use as external display. With my old hardware KVM switch this was working well, but want use the Mac keyboard and mouse to share between both.
    If I have iMac as Across Server and separate (not connect) MBP as client I can switch keyboard/mouse back and forward with the two option keys, no problem. When I have the Across Center open I can see connection moving from one to the other. As soon as I connect my MiniDisplayPort and use the Target Display Mode, the option keys are no longer responding. IMHO this seems like a bug, but I'd love to be wrong.
    Anyone has seen this before and knows a fix or workaround?

2. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hello Edwin Tielen,

Welcome! Thanks for joining us.:)
    The keyboard you are using, is connected to iMac and if iMac works in the Target Display Mode, I think it becomes just a monitor and therefore your keyboard would not work at all.

I think you need to use your MBP as Across Server and connect your keyboard to MBP. With this setup, you can always use your keyboard regardless of your iMac operation mode.

3. Edwin Tielen

Edwin Tielen New Member

Thanks Seungjin, that may be an option, just not sure if the key combo cmd-F2 will still work if the keyboard is attached to the MBP. I may want to give it a try tomorrow night. Bed-time now :)

4. Edwin Tielen

Edwin Tielen New Member

Hmm. I am actually inclined not to even attempt. I'm a heavy user of Apple's Airpods. This morning, after my testing last night with Across Center, I could connect them to my iPhone, but when needing to join a Webex on my MBP, I could connect, lose connection, connect, lose connect (you get the drill). After switching off Across Center on my iMac, this was all working as before. Clearly it's BT related, but do not understand how a BT keyboard connection could influences Airpods.

5. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

6. Edwin Tielen

Edwin Tielen New Member

Can be, but I'm running 10.12.6 Sierra on both iMac and MBP.

7. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. Have you already tried out the updated versions (v1.40 or v2.beta3)?
    If you can't see the updated version from our download page, please reload the page in your browser.

8. Edwin Tielen

Edwin Tielen New Member

Not tried yet. May be tempted to try this weekend, but am also looking at alternatives.

9. Edwin Tielen

Edwin Tielen New Member

Sigh. Just removed the old version, re-installed v1.40 and now getting stuck at not being able to switch keyboards. I've been able to pair the MBP and an iPhone, but no matter which hotkey I define (I have a A1314 BT Apple keyboard, doesn't have two of each), I cannot switch keyboard. Also dragging the mouse left (MBP) or right (iPhone) has no effect. I'm guessing I'm missing a link, but have not figured it out. Have not gotten to the point where I have tested the AirPods, as if the basic stuff doesn't even work, no point moving on.

10. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Please remove all Bluetooth pairing, completely remove Across and then reboot your Mac. After rebooting, reinstall Across and then pair them again.