1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mouse moves to client but won't move back to host

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Scott, Feb 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Scott

Scott New Member

about 70% of the time, I have no issues with Across Center locking my mouse on the client side - but that 30% of the time it makes it more frustrating than a cat stuck in a box with poison.

Whenever I'm in the Across Center app, the mouse will move freely between the two devices; as soon as I move to Chrome or another application on the client, it restricts mouse movement back to the host.

I have attempted to close Across on both server and client, reconnected the devices via bluetooth, and even restarting both devices and repeating those steps, but when it wants to stick it wants to stick. At any point, hitting the hotkeys will still move the mouse to the other device... but that's not what I signed up for. Any ideas on how to get it back to normal 100% of the time?

Host: Mac OSX (latest)
    Client: Chromebook / Android

2. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hello Scott,

Fundamentally, there is no API (App Programming Interface) to get the mouse cursor position in Android. Across uses a less reliable method to circumvent the limitation. That is, there is an invisible topmost window on the switch edge of screen, and when the mouse cursor goes into the window, Across regards it as the switch time. This works well for your 70% of the time. The precondition is that the monitoring window must remain at the topmost, but other apps including Chrome can position its window on the topmost. If other app brings its window to topmost, the cursor monitoring window of Across is unable to detect the cursor position any more.

I agree that it should be fixed to support reliable operations, but am not sure it could be.

Scott likes this.
  3. Scott

Scott New Member

Thanks very much for your prompt reply! Follow up question: is there any way to ensure that the across window takes the top position, like opening apps in a certain order?

4. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Have you tried to kill the Across Client app and then run it again in Android only?

Above some android version (6.0?), you can control the permission (Draw over other apps) of each app: Go to "Settings" > "Apps", choose an app and you will see "Draw over other apps" and can turn it on/off.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  5. Scott

Scott New Member

I've had some success in shutting down other apps then opening up across center just in Android, and it seemed to work better even after reopening some apps. However, this only seems to work when I position my client device to the right side of the server device - above, below, or to the left of the device the mouse only moves from server to client, but not back to server.

6. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Android itself uses the "Draw over other apps" to implement its taskbar, status bar, or notification area those may be located above, below and right. That's why you can only drag the mouse cursor to the right side of your server, since the usual notification area (like macOS, Windows 10) is on the right in a device.

7. hermes MDT

hermes MDT New Member

hello,
    i have the same problem ==>
    Mouse moves to client but won't move back to host

i am on andoid 7

the problem is only when the screen android locked

8. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hello hermes MDT,
    Thanks for joining us! :)
    Please read the below on how Across Client for android works to change the input focus. AFAIK, android lockscreen would not allow any apps to bring on the topmost. Otherwise there may be tons of spy apps stealing your passcode.

9. hermes MDT

hermes MDT New Member

hello,

sorry it's to technical et diffcult for me your answer,

please, i suggest to make us an video tutorial to bring the solution to the issue,

because your product is good, and i will buy it if this issues is close.

thanks

10. Max Cascone

Max Cascone New Member

I just started having this issue as well. It was working great, then i rebooted my Mac client, and the issue started.

Across v2.00.beta.c
    Server: Win10
    Client: Mac OS 10.11.6

11. RobArch

RobArch New Member

I have just installed the latest version of across and am having this issue from the start. Both server and client are windows. Is there any resolution to this yet?

My setup is:
    Server: Windows 10 Pro
    Client: Windows 10 Home

Thanks