1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failed to Pair - Error Code 17

Discussion in 'Questions and Support' started by Info Madness, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Info Madness

Info Madness New Member

I have been having this issue since last one month where I can't pair anything anymore. I had to upgrade my PC and now I have reinstalled Across. But now I can't pair anything with it. It used to work fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have Windows 7 64 bit machine and I have checked all the Bluetooth drivers are installed correctly. All the Bluetooth Support Services are also running.

Thank you.

2. Info Madness

Info Madness New Member

Anyone from the Across Team can help me out here?

3. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hello, Info Madness,

Sorry for the problem and this late answer.

Please let me know the hardware id (e.g., USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy) of your BT adapter by following the below steps:

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel > Device Manager).
    2. Go to Bluetooth category and expand it by double-click, and choose the Bluetooth adapter, and then right-click it. From the popup menu, click "Properties".
    3. In the Properties dialog, click "Details"-tab, and choose "Hardware Ids" from "Property" combo-box. It will show the hardware id in the Value field.

Thanks in advance.

4. Info Madness

Info Madness New Member

USB\VID_8087&PID_0A2B&REV_0001
    USB\VID_8087&PID_0A2B

This was for Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth. I have Dell Precision 5510 with Windows 7 64 bit.

But I also see Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and bunch of Bluetooth HID Emulator entries when I expand the Bluetooth Radios.

5. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Thanks for your answer. In fact, I'm wrestling to fix this issue. :D

Let me ask your favor to check one more thing:
    1. Please remove the Intel Bluetooth software from "Programs and Features" in "Control Panel".
    2. Restart your PC. Open "Device Manager" and check whether the BT adapter is "Generic Bluetooth Adapter".
    3. Shutdown (not restart) your PC and then turn on your PC after 20 seconds. And then check whether the BT adapter works well with "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" without exclamation mark.
    4. Repeat the above #3 step once more.

That's it. Please let me know the results from the step #2, 3, 4.

Thanks in advance.

6. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

I have fixed the whole issue! :D

If I were a native English speaker, I could tell you the spectacular battle story against a giant Bluetooth chipset vendor. The vendor has been desperately preventing our across from working properly from about 2 years ago.

Last year, I added an enhancement to increase responsiveness by regularly sending NOP HCI command to BT chipset from the giant BT chipset vendor. Now the chipset vendor made their chips reset when getting the NOP command (possibly from our across) in some situations, and ultimately it have done with the Error Code 17! So, I won't send the NOP command any more. It's not a problem any more, since, I think, they would have fixed their chip's responsiveness.

Also the chipset vendor makes the Intel OEM chip to not load the Microsoft Generic Bluetooth Adapter driver unless their Windows 7 driver is not installed. But they'd not know that the kind Intel provides Windows 8.1 and 10 drivers fully backward compatible with Windows 7! The 8.1 and 10 drivers binary files have been built for Windows 7. :p
    (Win7 driver: Broadcom WIDCOMM based, Win8/10 driver: Pure Microsoft BT driver)

And I guess Broadcom might provide Intel with their BT chipset as OEM. :rolleyes:

Broadcom or whoever, I must appreciate your hindrance because it has made our across more robust to any malicious attacks. Please do more attacks to our across if you can!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  7. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hi, Info Madness,
    I have fixed the problem and have released the update versions — 1.33.a & 2.00.BETA2.a.

Please note that, in your Windows 7 PC, you have to install the Intel BT driver for Windows 8.1 instead of that for Windows 7 for the Intel AC-8260. The Intel Windows 7 driver is based on the Broadcom WIDCOMM, and the Intel Windows 8.1 & 10 drivers are based on the Microsoft Bluetooth stack, and they are fully backward compatible with Windows 7.

8. Info Madness

Info Madness New Member

Thank you very much. Where would I download these drivers from? And Do I need to update my Across center install?

9. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

10. Info Madness

Info Madness New Member

Did what you said but still getting the same error. Steps I took

1. Uninstalled the older 2.0Beta
    2. Restarted the machine
    3. Installed new Across center 2.0 BetaA2.a
    3. Installed Intel BT 64bit Drivers for Windows 8.1
    4. Restarted the machine

Still getting the Error 17

11. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Sorry. I can't reproduce the problem in my x86 and x64 Windows 7 PCs and Windows 10 PCs, for Intel AC-8260(5). However it doesn't mean that there would be no problem in across.
    I'd like to recommend to use a Bluetooth USB dongle instead of the Intel BT adapter by disabling it in Device Manager.

12. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

By the way, in advance of the above steps, have you removed the previous Bluetooth driver? Please make sure that before installing the Intel driver for Windows 8.1, you have to remove the previous Windows 7 driver.

13. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Finally, found the source of this problem. The fixed version will be available within some days.

14. Info Madness

Info Madness New Member

Ok that's good because I tried all the different combination of install/uninstall and was going crazy after keep on restarting my computer.

15. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hey Info Madness,

Please test the fixed version from the following links:

Across for Windows 1.33.b (Multi-Lingual): https://download.acrosscenter.com/files/AcrossSetup_1_33b.exe
    Across for Windows 1.33.b (English): https://download.acrosscenter.com/files/AcrossSetup_1_33b_EN.exe
    Across for Windows 2.00.BETA2.b (English): https://download.acrosscenter.com/files/AcrossSetup_2_BETA2b.exe

And let me know how it works. Thanks in advance.

16. Info Madness

Info Madness New Member

Now I get the Error Code 15

17. Info Madness

Info Madness New Member

I restarted my computer and Now everytime I click on "Pairing" button, It gives error code between 11/12/15

18. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

19. Info Madness

Info Madness New Member

Still the same error. I uninstalled the Intel Wireless Bluetooth --> Installed the Win8.1 driver --> Uninstalled previous Across 1.33b --> Installed Across_2_BETA2b. Still the same error.

20. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Sorry. I can't help you any more.
    Other users had confirmed that the last version fixes this Error Code 17 issue in their Win7 + AC-8260 PCs.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017