1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use Keyboard Media Keys

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Lee, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Lee

Lee New Member

Hi, great program! It's quite impressive. I'd really like to be able to use the media keys on my keyboard to control my android tablet. I see there's a media key panel in the across app so it's almost there!

2. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hello Lee,

Thanks for the suggestion. Across already supports media keys on a physical keyboard. What is your computer and its OS?

If it is a Mac, please check the Function keys setting. (System Preferences > Keyboard)
    [​IMG]
    If the checkbox is unchecked, you can input media keys directly. Otherwise you can input media keys by combining a Fx-key with the "Fn"-key.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  3. Lee

Lee New Member

Thanks for the reply! I'm on windows.. I don't see that option in the windows server software. I'm using a Logitech keyboard on Windows 10, with an android tablet. I'd like to be able to skip tracks and play/pause from my Logitech media keys, but it currently doesn't seem to work

4. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Please let me know your keyboard model number.

5. Lee

Lee New Member

It's a Logitech g810, same line as the g710 and g910, which I understand all share the same media key scheme.

6. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Thanks for the answer.

As I mentioned in the first answer, Across already supports media keys on a physical keyboard. However if you have installed a keyboard software accompanied with your keyboard, the software can process media key data in advance of Across. Then Across will be unable to get the media key.

I recommend you to test if the assumption would be right by removing the keyboard software. If everything would be okay after removing the keyboard software, then I think no need to install the keyboard software. Otherwise, you should choose the best environment for you.

7. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

I have been finding any possible workaround for the situation and finally think it may be possible.

Thanks again for your suggestion. For your reference, it will take a couple of months to implement.

8. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Your request will be reflected to the next version that will be available within some weeks. Across will work flawlessly regardless of an IHV(Independent Hardware Vendor) software (e.g. Logitech Setpoint / Game Software, Microsoft Intellipoint).

9. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

10. slaguerre2

slaguerre2 New Member

Has there been any progress on this? My client is Mac and the server is Windows. I would like to use the special features printed on each function key on my Apple Keyboard. (Brightness, Mission Control, Launchpad, etc...) Currently the keyboard is only sending F1, F2, etc. regardless of the checkbox setting in System Preferences > Keyboard.

11. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hey slaguerre2,

If your Mac is Server, some keys including Mission Control, Launchpad have no counterpart in Windows. Across only supports F7(Backward) ~ F12(Volume Up).

If your Apple keyboard is connected to Windows PC and the Win PC is Server, <fn>-key would not work and therefore a Fx-key would not support the alternative media key. If a keyboard has a dedicated media key, Across will support the media key.

If your Win PC is a Bootcamp Mac, Fx keys support alternative media keys but across doesn't support those keys unfortunately.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017