1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Across Version 2.00 BETA1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seungjin Lee, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Windows
    Supported OS: Windows Vista and later
    Warning: Please remove the V1.x of across (no need to remove completely; i.e., during removing, click 'NO'-button in the Complete-Remove confirm messagebox) before installing the V2, since there is a problem in overwrite upgrade.
    Link Address: https://d2fa0wrz2qwv08.cloudfront.net/AcrossSetup_2_BETA1.exe

macOS
    Supported OS: macOS 10.7 and later
    Link Address: https://d2fa0wrz2qwv08.cloudfront.net/AcrossInstaller_2_BETA1.zip

PS: cloudfront.net is Amazon Cloud Service

2. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

If you don't have a license, network operations only work for 30-minute after computer starts. To work it again, please reboot your computer or just purchase & activate a license. :D

Any feedback will be appreciated.

3. seb

seb New Member

Still issues with BT pairing from Windows (7) to Mac. Error code 17.

Windows as Server
    Mac as client

Works other way around with huge delay on inputs.

4. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hello seb, Welcome to Across Center!

In your Win7 PC, please find any Bluetooth related software in "Program/Features" from "Control Panel", and remove it and then reboot your PC. Such software could be "WIDCOMM", "Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology" or "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)(patch version: ...)", etc. Hope it helps.

5. seb

seb New Member

Already done, no luck. Still receiving Error code 17.

6. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

seb, is your BT adapter built-in or a USB adapter? Were there any mentioned SW?

7. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

If you can migrate easily you PC to Win 10, it could be another solution.

8. seb

seb New Member

It is a built in adapter, IntelĀ® Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8260 Wi-Fi + BT 4.1 Wireless Card (2x2), I am now using the generic Microsoft driver for the adapter.
    The intel drivers have been removed.

Unfortunately I cannot upgrade to Win 10 as per company policy.

9. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

@seb, I'm thinking the correct adapter is not the Generic Bluetooth adapter. Please remove the Generic Bluetooth adapter in Device Manager and reboot your PC. Windows will detect & install the device driver automatically.

10. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

Playing around with the beta and it seems to work pretty well!

One thing that would be nice, and it's an issue the old version used to have - when the cursor moves from a windows machine to my mac, the main app I have focused, seems to flicker, as if it quickly unfocuses and re-focuses. It would be nice if this could be fixed, but not sure if it's possible. I've included an example video that shows this flicker. I have it set so that if I drag my mouse off the left side of the screen it goes to my windows computer.

Also for reference, the Mac is my server and the Windows machine is the client.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/qkz2cmudypqha8h/screencast_2017-09-27_20-54-15.mp4?dl=0

11. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

Another small thing I've noticed, and this has carried over from the previous version, it seems like the cursor movement is smoother on my Mac than it is on the Windows PC. Not sure if it's possible to improve this, but it would be awesome if so!

12. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

@Amadeus, thank you so much for your test & opinions! ;)

1. flicking issue: I understand what you are saying
    2. Do you mean that Across Server for Win works smoother than that for Mac in a client device for the mouse cursor movement?

Edit: Ok, I got understood what you're saying in the second comment. However both the flicker issue and mouse movement issue in Windows are very hard problems to improve. We will try to improve them but they won't be improved anytime soon. Regarding that natively the mouse movement on Mac is not as smooth as on Windows, it's very very hard to improve.

BTW, if you have spare time, would you please test the switched role, i.e., Windows (Server) + Mac (Client)? :D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  13. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

@Amadeus, I have found that Mac (Client) turns off display even though keyboard/mouse inputs through network, and fixed the problem as not to turn off display. Though the above link filename is identical, it's been changed. So just download it and run the installer again for the fixed file.

14. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

Ok, so after some more use, I'd say that there really is no noticeable difference in the cursor smoothness between my mac and pc, when my mac is server. In other words, you can disregard issue #2.

However, I have come across another issue that is worth noting - I've noticed that with my mac as server, and windows client, when I have the cursor moving on the windows computer, it will randomly lose control of the windows computer, usually while mid movement, and the cursor control will revert to the mac. I will have to move the cursor back from the mac onto the PC. This actually happens quite often.

EDIT: This happens usually a few times every minute, so it's quite a nuisance.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  15. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Amadeus, thank a lot for your test and feedback.

What communication channel are you using for keyboard/mouse input? Bluetooth or network?

Have you not experienced any noticeable issues in filecopy and clipboard sync between computers?

16. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

I am currently using Bluetooth for communication.

Copy and paste of text seems to work great, file copy and paste was working at one point, but after I fiddled with things, it seemed to stop working.

Here are some screenshots of the settings on my mac server for reference:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I probably won't be able to play around with making my Windows machine the server until later this weekend.

17. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

I've recorded a cellphone video of this bug I just mentioned above. I start by moving the mouse from the server (mac) to the windows machine. Then I just start moving the mouse in circles on the windows machine (client). After a few seconds you will notice the cursor stops moving, I am still moving the mouse in circles, but it has disconnected or somehow reverted back to the mac (server).

http://wtf.amadeus.wtf/monosnap/IMG_1732.MOV

18. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

@Amadeus, For filecopy to work properly, in the [Network]-tab, choose "Filecopy and Clipboard Data Sync" for the [Clipboard Sync]-radiobutton and add folders to [Shared Folders]-list. You're able to copy files/subfolders under the shared folders to a client. You can add a folder by clicking the [+]-button or just drag a folder from Finder and drop it into the [Shared Folders]-list.

Thanks for the video. I'm afraid that Bluetooth and WIFI may interfere with each other. To verify it, just turn off WIFI on Mac during test. If you never experience the symptom in the WIFI off state, it must be a Bluetooth & WIFI interference issue. Otherwise it could be a bug in Across. However I have never experienced consistent such error.

For reference, Across can work through network even when Bluetooth is not connected.

For Windows (Server) + Mac (Client), it's not urgent at all. Please test it only when you have enough spare time. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  19. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

Ok, so a bit more to report, something seems to be really broken. I tried reverting to the old version of Across but I still get the same issues. I am not sure if it's a hardware issue that I may have created, or even potentially an issue from installing the new macOS High Sierra, but from what I can tell, it appears that my windows machine, periodically (by periodically, I mean at least once or twice a minute) likes to disconnect completely via bluetooth from my Mac.

I am pretty convinced the issue may be related to the Windows machine because my Mac's mouse and keyboard are both bluetooth and never lose connection to my Mac.

I grabbed a log from my Mac when the disconnection occurs, however I am not sure how to get a log from the Windows side, perhaps you may have an idea there?

Here's the log from my Mac:

https://gist.github.com/amadeus/72ae60b5e90674d9cf7575500e139a58

EDIT: I will also note that I have completely disabled all Network features as well, just in case they could be interfering, but that does not seem to be the case.

EDIT 2: I've also noticed that if I am watching the bluetooth settings on my mac, the windows computer does show up as disconnected, and then re-connects immediately after. I guess it would be really helpful if you have any way I can debug this better on my Windows computer, I don't know Windows that well at all.

Also for reference, I tried re-installing my Bluetooth drivers on the Windows machine as well, which did not seem to fix the problem.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  20. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

So my current workaround has been using the latest beta, I got the systems connected, then turned off bluetooth on the Windows machine, and just use networking to control the cursor and keyboard. This seems to work fairly reliably, however, there's definitely a bit of cursor lag right when i start first start interacting with the mouse.