1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux to Win disconnection right after pairing

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by sarimarton, Mar 9, 2023.

1. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

Hi,

My setup is:
    guest: windows PC
    host:
    - Ubuntu ARM64 running under Parallels running under M1 MacBook Air
    - Ubuntu x86/64 running under Parallels running under MacBook Air 2010 (same results)
    - Parallels bluetooth sharing is OFF, I'm using a BT dongle

BT dongle:
    - Digi-key BT dongle
    - ASUS USB BT 500 (same results)

Symptom 1 - Windows PC:
    - I did all the steps in the linux tutorial - UI is running, pulseaudio removed, bluez patched, adding the gnome bluetooth commands to the Across config
    - Across server running on Ubuntu starts pairing
    - Windows sees the HID device (keyboard) and lets me pair. I click okay on the code. Windows keeps the HID device connected, seems like everything's good from the Windows side
    - On Ubuntu, the pairing request appears, I approve the code, and then Across doesn't know about the pairing. The gnome bluetooth system pref page sees a short connection and then the client goes disconnected.

Symptom 2 - iPhone
    - Same as Symptoms 1, but the iphone doesn't keep the HID device connected, it removes the pairing after a few seconds

2. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Please try to test in a real machine instead of virtual machine. If it would work well in a real machine, it means that your virtual machine SW or host OS have a problem.

3. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

Sure, fair, I'll test with a native Ubuntu install. Although it'd be awesome if it worked under Parallels, because it means we could circumvent the macOS post-Big Sur API issue. (I really need a Mac as the source of the input because of a huge Karabiner config.) And it seems like it should work, as the guest OS has direct access to the USB dongle, and it does work all the way up to the last bit.

4. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

I think BT may be really difficult to emulate on a virtual machine without any problems. I'm afraid that you don't know the macOS BT issue in macOS 12 and later. If you want to circumvent it, I think you need to write a new Bluetooth stack on macOS.

5. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

I'm far from being an expert on bluetooth or the macOS issue, but there's no emulation in Parallels. It provides a direct USB passthrough to the VM (and blocks that USB to the host). My assumption is that the host's bluetooth hardware and stack is completely out of the picture. But I'll follow up with a native test.

Attached Files:

6. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

A few other observations (which more or less seem to confirm my assumption):

1. using Parallel's "bluetooth sharing" feature did feel like a mess, turning it off suddenly made bluetooth generally work like a snap in the VM with the dongle. It knows its model number etc.

2. Different dongles behave slightly differently, e.g. one produced an audio device in the client's dicovery, or typically a computer device, not a HID one (it's a common experience with native setups). And going through the workaround steps in the tutorial fixed these issues gradually up to the point where it's really close to working.

3. I remember having a native setup with a Raspberry PI as server, but it was years ago.

7. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Sorry. We don't care operations on a virtual machine.

8. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

Dear Seungjin, I didn't insist you to support virtual machines :) I just shared my assumptions and observations that it doesn't matter. I'll come up with a native test, hope you won't mind. It might even disprove my assumptions. Peace.

9. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

Unfortunately it didn't work, because the Across UI is disabled in a native ubuntu under a MacBook Air 2010, probably for the 'clang/gcc' reasons you mentioned in another forum. Can you give access to older versions of Across Center which worked for that model? I remember I used it before for that macbook.

10. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

A few hours later, we will release the v2.30 that fixed many bugs. So, please try it and let us know how it works. Thank you.

11. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

Hi Seungjin,

I'm not sure what has changed, my old macbook currently runs High Sierra, Across 2.30 is still disabled there. Should I test it with an Ubuntu install?

Attached Files:

12. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Please help me to identify what the problem is.

1. Download this file: https://download.acrosscenter.com/tmp/AcrossCenter-1.zip and unzip it.
    2. Using Terminal, run the following commands in the directory where the unzipped file is:
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/Across/Across\ Center.app
    sudo cp -rf ./Across\ Center.app /Applications/Across
    3. Let me know what messages acrossd prints in Console and attach a crash dump file.

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  13. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

This one spins the fans when it runs.
    ---
    Martons-MacBook-Air:~ sarim$ sudo rm -rf /Applications/Across/Across\ Center.app
    Password:
    Martons-MacBook-Air:~ sarim$ cd ~/Downloads
    Martons-MacBook-Air:Downloads sarim$ sudo cp -rf ./Across\ Center.app /Applications/Across
    Martons-MacBook-Air:Downloads sarim$

Attached Files:

14. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Thanks for the upload. I can find what makes your crash. Unfortunately, it comes from our license solution provider's library. It means that it cannot be solved in some days since the solution provider or I need some time to resolve the issue.

I will post this crash in their support forum and leave its link for your reference after posting it.

UPDATE:
    1. This is my posting -- https://wyday.com/forum/t/21083/exc_bad_instruction-sigill-from-macos-ta_pdetsfrompath/#post-41290

2. Found their answer by search:
    3. I need some time to solve this issue.

15. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Similarly,
    1. Download this file: https://download.acrosscenter.com/tmp/AcrossCenter-2.zip and unzip it.
    2. Using Terminal, run the following commands in the directory where the unzipped file is:
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/Across/Across\ Center.app
    sudo cp -rf ./Across\ Center.app /Applications/Across
    (This version uses an old version from the provider.)

If it works, you have to manage your license key by offline license management only (online license management would not work). Please refer to our manual about the offline license management. We can help offline license activation/deactivation. If you send us the XML request file (support AT acrosscenter.com), we will respond with its response file.
    Thank you.

EDIT: I can activate/deactivate a product key by online management using the attached version. So, you could use the online management.

16. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

It works wonderfully! I haven't yet tried the activation/deactivation, because I'll need more time to migrate to that machine, but this connects beautifully with my other macs and windows as well. It solves my case for a while. Thanks very much, Seungjin!

Seungjin Lee likes this.
  17. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

The online activation didn't work on my side. (This is the MBA2010.)

Attached Files:

18. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Run the following command in Terminal:
    sudo /Applications/Across/Across\ Center.app/Contents/MacOS/acrossd -il
    and retry activation.

EDIT: The command is executed in the installer but it crashed.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  19. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Restart your mac and retry.

20. sarimarton

sarimarton Member

Did it, still the same.