1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 Professional 64 bit and iPad 2

Discussion in 'Questions and Support' started by henreeg, Jan 27, 2016.

1. henreeg

henreeg New Member

I'm trying to connect the server to the iPad. I click Paring, I click the laptop name on my iPad, the server gives me the auth numbers but my iPad never asks if the numbers pairing is correct. The server confirms and tries to connect, but the iPad never asks to confirm.

2. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Thanks for the good question.

The below articles are quoted from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Pairing_mechanisms):
    Windows think like this: Both Windows PC and iPad have a display (monitor for PC and touch screen for iPad) and both devices can accept Yes/No user input. Then authentication method should go with "Numeric Comparison" for user convenience.

On an iOS device side, Apple engineers think like this: We have never seen a keyboard having a display. It's weired then let's go with the easiest authentication method — "Just Works". For your reference, the OSX BT stack on a Mac uses correctly "Just Works" to pair with an iOS device.

Simply clicking the 'Yes' button in the authentication phase will complete BT pairing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  3. henreeg

henreeg New Member

That's the problem... the iPad "yes" button never appears.

4. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

In iOS 8~9.3, after clicking the Pairing button in the Across Center, clicking the computer name of the Across Server computer in an iOS device will do nothing. However, as I said in my previous answer, the Across Center will confirm whether the displayed number does match or not and just clicking "Yes"-button in the Across Center will complete BT pairing. So, yes, there is no "Yes"-button in your iPad, but there is no problem in pairing both devices.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2016
  5. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

There were my mistakes. I wrote a special case that occurs during test to support other users. At the time that I gave the answer, I did make an Across Server computer use the identical authentication method (Passkey Entry) to a BT keyboard. We can make Across use the "Passkey Entry" just like any BT keyboard but had concluded that the "Passkey Entry" is less convenient than the "Numeric Comparison".

Sorry for the confusion. All the above answers have been correctly edited.

6. OrderlyHippo

OrderlyHippo New Member

I know this is old, but this question is not solved. I really want Across to work and I have this exact issue. Upon clicking "Yes" in Across Center, it does NOT complete BT pairing. What happens for me upon clicking "Yes" are 2 things. First, is the Bluetooth Pairing Authentication dialog box with the confirmation number goes away and the Advertising this computer as a keyboard dialog box continues, just like before with the advertising timer continuing to count down. Secondly, on my ios device, the laptop name moves from the Other Devices section into My Devices and the loading icon next to the laptop name continues for a long time as if it's still working to connect. After about 60 seconds, the ios device prompts the user saying, "Connection Unsuccessful." Can you please help? I believe henreeg had this very problem and abandoned this thread.

7. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hello, OrderlyHippo,

Please try to reset Bluetooth on your iOS device and retry pairing.

8. OrderlyHippo

OrderlyHippo New Member

I tried that. I also tried re-installing the Bluetooth driver on my windows laptop, rebooting both devices, and re-installing Across on the laptop. I was careful to forget the ios device on the laptop and vice versa. What is the problem?! haha! Thank you for the reply

9. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  10. OrderlyHippo

OrderlyHippo New Member

I copied what the guy in the video did. No change. I did notice something though. After clicking "Yes" as described earlier, my device then appears in Windows settings as connected & paired. This suggests the issue is software based, no? Meaning my laptop's Bluetooth adapter works as it should and Connect does not know that the devices are newly paired and connected. What could prevent Connect from seeing this successful connection?

I would try it on another Bluetooth enabled computer if I could, but I don't have another one easily available. Also, my laptop has a Bluetooth adapter built in and very limited number of USB ports, so I prefer a software fix. Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  11. OrderlyHippo

OrderlyHippo New Member

Update: I got a Broadcom adapter as per your guidance. Connect can't add my phone to it's "Paired Devices" section because I keep getting error code 7, sometimes code 3. So, I can't use the Client Devices Layout" feature. However, I can pair my phone with my laptop and control it via Windows' "Bluetooth Device Control" center.

Side note: I had to install a driver for the Bluetooth adapter to work with Windows 11, Broadcom's Bluetooth tray application...
    This adapter ->https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MKMJG...oding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
    It's hardware Ids properties are as follows:
    USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21E8&REV_0112
    USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21E8

I'm not sure why Across won't add the phone to "paired devices."

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  12. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

As Windows will work for your adapter, please don't install any accompanied software.

13. OrderlyHippo

OrderlyHippo New Member

I followed your instructions, but there is an issue. I disabled my laptop's built in Bluetooth adapter, then plugged in the external one. Then it appeared in device manager under "Other Devices" like there's no driver for it. I "searched windows" for the correct one "automatically" but no results...so I downloaded the driver that my adapter came with. Are you sure windows works with it and if so, what did I do wrong?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  14. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Strange... :confused: You can try other USB BT dongles do not need driver install explicitly. It will work with just its plugin.

Also, if any Bluetooth related 3rd party software (for example, Broadcom BT software ...) is installed on your PC, please remove it.

15. OrderlyHippo

OrderlyHippo New Member

Hi, I found the proper windows 11 driver in settings > windows update > advanced options > optional updates. The driver was listed there for my USB dongle. Across still gives me error codes as described before and can not use "Client Devices Layout" feature.

p.s. Another annoying thing, after removing the external dongle, my laptop's built in Bluetooth adapter won't work unless I re-install its driver. I have to re-install it every time I reboot :/ It started after I downloaded the bluetooth dongle driver from online before I found a new one in window's settings.

Thank you Seungjin Lee! You are a very patient person!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022