1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10, 2004 Update Appears Broken

Discussion in 'Questions and Support' started by Amadeus, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

Hello, I just updated my windows machine to the new 2004 update, and it appears that Across no longer seems to work properly in client mode. I noticed when I go into Device Manager I see this:

[​IMG]

I've tried everything from removing the devices completely, uninstalling and re-installing across, but every time I see what appears to be a driver compatibility issue as seen above

Also here's a screenshot of my windows version:
    [​IMG]

2. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

3. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hi, Amadeus,

Sorry about the problem. I recommend to rollback to the previous Windows version. Even if we would be able to fix the issue, we cannot release the patch until the next version release of across. Regarding how to rollback, please refer to googling with "how to rollback 2004 windows update".
    We will do our best to release the next version of across as soon as possible.
    Thanks in advance for your patience.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  4. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

Ahh fair, I've done a rollback before, so no problem there. Thanks for the info.

Do you have any expected timeframe on when a new update might be ready?

5. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

Also - just to circle back - rolling back to an older version of Windows did fix the problem. So it appears to be something with how Across sets everything up (perhaps a driver issue?)

6. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

Hello - re-bumping this. I recently got a new computer - that came with Windows 10, 2004 pre-installed, there's no roll back option, so I'd probably have to do some trickery with a re-format to go back. Is there any news on a new version that should be compatible?

7. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

There is an additional windows update available now - 20H2 - I updated to that and still the exact same problem exists - so it looks to not be a bug with 2004, but somehow related to changes windows has made to bluetooth in general or something on the macOS side that rejects those changes.

8. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

Interestingly - I have figured out a strange workaround. If I disable handoff on my mac - everything works fine. I am guessing there is something weird going on with macOS where it tries to setup handoff with the PC and then somehow rejects it. So it's probably not Across related... but definitely a pretty annoying problem with a workaround that's less than ideal (I find handoff to be very useful). I'll dig a bit more.

Edit: Actually - there still is something with the drivers - because they do show up as not quite right - even though everything is working:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  9. Seungjin Lee

Seungjin Lee Member

Hey, Amadeus,

Thanks a lot for the helpful report.
    I confirmed that there are two problems in combination of mac + win10_2004:
    A. Mac(server) + Win10_2004(client): Repetitive connection/disconnection
    B. Win10_2004(server) + Mac(client): Repetitive connection/disconnection but less severe than the A-case.

I confirmed that disable HandOff makes the problem gone away for the mac(server)+win10_2004(client) combination. Another workaround I found is to unload the "bluetoothaudiod" service:
    A. Disable System Integration Protection (SIP):
    1. Restart your computer in Recovery mode.
    2. Launch Terminal from the Utilities menu.
    3. Run the command csrutil disable .
    4. Restart your computer.
    B. Unload the "bluetoothaudiod" service: In Terminal, run the following command:
    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.bluetoothaudiod.plist

While unloading the bluetoothaudiod service resolves both the A-/B-cases, disable HandOff makes only the A-case resolved.
    Honestly I don't have more energy to workaround macOS Bluetooth issues. I hope Apple engineers can resolve these Bluetooth issues in macOS at the earliest.

Regarding the unknown driver profiles in Windows Device Manager, it is not a problem at all. You can safely disregard them. For example, if several devices (linux PC, android device, ios device) are paired with my PC, there are numerous unknown driver profiles.